The job interview went great and you feel like you are a shoe in. But, how do you know if you got the job?
You don’t want to keep applying for jobs when you’ve got the one you want, but you want to be sure. So, once the interview is over, how do you know if you got the job?
How do you know if you got the job when they ask you certain questions:
- When can you start? They want to know when you can start your new job.
- They ask you very specific questions about tasks you would need to complete. The more specific they are, the more likely it is that they have you in mind for the job.
Know if you got the job when they seem to connect with you:
- They seem to be impressed by you. For example, when you tell them some of the things you’ve done, they say “wow”, “neat”, and other such exclamations.
- You and the interviewer have similar hobbies or histories and the interviewer mentions it.
- They seem excited to have you there for the interview.
- They seem to enjoy the interview. For example, they tell you funny stories, jokes, or simply chat.
Know if you got the job when they do certain things during the interview:
- They laugh at your jokes, smile regularly through the interview, and nod their head a lot.
- They introduce you around the company – a great sign you will soon be part of the team.
- They ask you to fill out additional forms – especially if it looks like new hire paperwork.
- They make comments after the interview like “We’ll see you again soon” or “We are looking forward to having you as part of the team”. These questions show that they view you as a great new hire.
Finding a new job is exciting and fun. But we all want to get it over with as soon as possible. If you think you’ve got the job, think back to the interview. If your remember things from the above list you have answered the question; how do you know if you got the job.
Give us your feedback on how you answered the question – how do you know if you got the job?
Submit any comments about job interviews in the following section.